The COVID-19 pandemic is forcing business closures, layoffs and a sharp rise in unemployment across the nation. State and local health and human services agencies are scrambling to quickly expand unemployment insurance, medical benefits and supplemental nutrition and food assistance programs to better help U.S. families and individuals in need.
At the same time, state and local agencies face multiple challenges in ramping up eligibility operations support, payment distribution methods, health insurance options and nutritional support services -- all while many state personnel work remotely during state-wide operational shutdowns.
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act signed into law on March 18th is a first step in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. Broader measures are likely to emerge in the days ahead, including the possibility of emergency ‘lump-sum’ payments to Americans. For example, the prospect of states distributing funds directly to people during the pandemic has strong bipartisan support.
As a result, state human services agencies must initiate or expand social support services – even as their own personnel are increasingly forced to comply with social distancing and new telework requirements. To better assist everyone impacted by the pandemic, it’s important for state and local agencies to reach out to trusted partners to ensure every agency can continue to keep pace with emerging and expanding demands.
Conduent has extensive experience supporting a wide range of mission-critical operational processes. Over the years, we have helped many state and local agencies to quickly roll out specialized support services to reduce backlogs and help alleviate burdens on agency resources and personnel. Here are several examples of the types of services we can quickly help provide:
- Interaction centers – We ramped up call center support for one New England human services department in less than 30 days, processing nearly 65,000 change requests and an average of 7,000 support calls every week during a short-term, four-month initiative.
- Disaster/COOP – Maintaining resilience in the aftermath of any disaster is challenging. Conduent assisted one northwestern state to recover and maintain the resilience of its Medicaid service operations following a recent, powerful earthquake. And before then, Conduent helped another southern state gain call center support in less than two weeks to help homeowners apply for funding to repair flood-damaged homes following Hurricane Katrina. We also recovered records and provided document imaging support to aid child support services.
- Application processing – In one Midwestern state, we provided Medicaid, SNAP and TANF application processing support, reducing a backlog of nearly 27,000 cases.
- Transactional support – We helped one Mid-Atlantic state reduce its backlog of presumptive eligibility applications, Federally Facilitated Marketplace (FFM) renewals by 170,000 in one four-month support services project.
- Payment support services – We processed more than 1,840 Medicaid, SNAP and TANF appeals requests in just four days for another Midwest state.
We strive every day to provide the expertise, guidance, support, and solutions that help state health and human services agencies meet evolving service delivery challenges. We work closely with agencies like yours to improve operational efficiency and ensure that your constituents get the services they need, quickly and cost-effectively.
With nearly 50 years of experience integrating, implementing and enhancing systems and services for Medicaid, CHIP, SNAP, TANF and other public programs, we understand what it takes to support government health and human services.
By taking advantage of our in-depth expertise, we can help you distribute the much-needed support your constituents need. Conduent stands ready to help you roll out various types of emergency funding or quickly ramp up application processing, interaction centers or other constituent call centers – all to assist you in keeping pace with fluctuating service demands.
During this time of crisis and unprecedented need, please call us at 1(844) ONE-CNDT or email email@example.com to learn more about what we can do to help.